My Blog List

Monday, July 29, 2019

Artist Spotlight: Starcadian (AMA)

This week Starcadian will be with us for an AMA after just coming back from rocking the stage on Retro Future Festival 2019.

This AMA is part of the Artist Spotlight Series, in which we combine an interview and AMA. This time the interview part was handled by Dennis G from Nightride.FM He sat down with Starcadian for an hour long interview.Here is just one of the first questions of the interview:

How long have you been doing music?

Professionally i made my first album in 2010, i believe. So my co director of most my music

videos, Rob O'Neill, he used to be my teacher at school. Then we started working together, he hired me in this company that he started. It was a pretty great job, I was basically the 3D technical director guy in there and I had a lot of free time. So I started to play around, I always played music, but I thought maybe now that i got a MacBook I can start recording an album.So he wanted to do a music video for it, so we did. I learned Logic slowly but surely. It was a much much different genre than synthwave. I’m not really a genre guy, so like to me it was like “That's the kind of music I want to make now, that's what I'm gonna make.” And he was like “oh shit man, i just got a new camera lets shoot a video.” Which we did. And then as I finished that album, which I'm pretty sure like 10 people heard. I started branching out from all the guitar processing stuff and it was around the same time that guitar started its slow decline into the nothingness that is unfortunately right now.

Mumford and Sons, i remember they came out with an album and it was like “eh ok, that's cool, but daft punk though!”. I was never really super super into electronic, I was more of a rocker guy. And something just clicked, cause when I grew up techno was really shitty. Like I'm talking trashy eurotrash, Ace of Base stuff. And I can say eurotrash cause I'm european, so whatever, don't at me. ;)Not to go on a big tangent, I wasn't into it until that point. So I started branching out in logic and trying all the synthesizers and VSTs. Then for some reason I really got into it. I think it was ‘Sebastian's - Total’ that just came out. And it just blew my mind, it's just a masterpiece of a record. And I'm like “oh god, i really want to do that”.

I recorded slowly but surely while working for Rob. I started doing sketches for Sunset Blood.Also one of my favourite artists of all time is Les Rythmes Digitales. Which they did this 20 years ago, before anyone had even heard of a movie called Drive he was like making bomb ass retrowave music. He has an album called Darkdancer, that was like my electronic album. That and Fat of the Land by The Prodigy that blew my mind.

This was barely 5 minutes of the 60 min interview, so be sure to check it out.

For more info on Starcadian:Official Starcadian websiteTwitterFacebookBandcampAnd of course his very own subreddit /r/Starcadian

This AMA will run until Sunday August 4. But be sure to ask your questions early for a bigger chance to get them answered!



Submitted July 29, 2019 at 05:10AM by Vaaag https://ift.tt/2ymtShQ

No comments:

Post a Comment